Monday, April 13, 2009

Amistad

The movie Amistad affected me deeply. Watching through the movie of the degrading and torture the African American slaves faced was brutal. I find it hard to believe that the oppression they faced wasn’t that long ago. Its hard to think about those times and what they went through and how much suffering they had to endure just on the ships alone. To see what they went through on the lower decks of ships made it seem that they weren’t treated as human beings. They treated as if they were animals and to see what the women went through when they were pulled out of their children’s arms was home hitting for me. There are really no words to explain the useless death of the Africans and there are no ways to say sorry to them in my opinion. They sacrificed their lives to become the inhuman slaves that got the worse side of everything. To see someone who would fight for them made me proud. I felt a sense of relief in my stomach after the care the man expressed for them when he tried to set them free. The visions the young slave had of his wife hurt even more during the course of the movie. The movie was hard- hitting and very emotional for me as an American. I am glad I got the opportunity to see this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment